30 tips for successful cross-country flying
#21: Less haste, more miles
This tip might sound trivial, but experience has shown that it is pretty important. Take your time when aiming to fly cross-country.
- Get to the flying area the day before if it is a long way from home. Getting up at 3 am to travel to the right hill is less than optimal.
- Take your time for a proper weather check and route plan.
- Sleep for as long as possible to be refreshed when you get to the take-off.
- Get there early.
- Get your equipment ready in a relaxed manner. All this will give you time to talk to other pilots about their plans for the day and maybe get a few good tips as well.
- Before launch, have some quiet time to go through your flight in your head and visualise yourself landing later that evening safe and sound, with a big smile on your face.
Taking your time will not only bring greater success, but it can avoid mistakes or in extreme cases, even accidents.